In Living Memory: An Evening of Remembrance
Flyer for the 2019 candlelight vigil held at Dupont Circle for the known 10 Black Trans Women killed in America between Jan. 1 and June 10, 2019.
Transgender Americans are facing an epidemic of violence. Twenty-four of them were known to be homicide victims in 2018, although the actual number is likely higher, as undoubtedly some victims were misgendered by police or media, or their deaths not reported at all. The majority of victims in any year tracked by The Advocate have been women of color. Into mid-June 2019, 10 murders of trans Americans have been reported, all women of color.
Table Of Contents
Victims killed in 2019 include, at least:
- Dana Martin, 31 years old, 6 January
- Jazzaline Ware, March
- Ashanti Carmen, 27, 30 March
- Claire Legato, 19, 14 May
- Muhlaysia Booker, 23, 18 May
- Michelle "Tamika" Washington, 40, 19 May
- Paris Cameron, 20, 25 May
- Chynal Lindsey, 26, 1 June
- Chanel Scurlock, 23, 5 June
- Zoe Spears, 23, 13 June
“In Living Memory: An Evening of Remembrance,” Rainbow History Project Digital Collections, accessed March 24, 2023, https://archives.rainbowhistory.org/items/show/1679.
Copy the code below into your web page